Families struggle for food, shelter as thousands displaced in Syria’s Idlib

Middle-east: People from Idlib province fled their homes in northwest Syria and headed towards the Turkish border after Syrian government and allied forces resumed air and ground bombardments there last week, a video uploaded to a social media website on Monday (September 10) appeared to show.

The video purported to show trucks loaded with belongings near makeshift shelters and people saying they were lacking in tents, food and water. One man said two to three families were living in one tent.

The U.N. agency coordinating relief efforts said on Monday that more than 30,000 people have so far fled their homes since the air strikes resumed.

The U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said an all-out military assault on the last major stronghold of active opposition to President Bashar al-Assad could set 800,000 people to flight. The OCHA chief, Mark Lowcock, warned that this risked provoking the worst humanitarian catastrophe of the 21st Century.

Russian and Syrian warplanes resumed their bombing campaign last week and the presidents of Turkey, Iran and Russia on Friday (September 7) failed to agree on a ceasefire that would forestall the offensive.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.